Reflections on effective Preaching: “A view from the pew”
- For a preacher to have mastery of a passage, the passage ought to have mastery over him.
- Preachers who preach God’s truth into life (births, deaths, marriages, job losses, debts, breakins, car accidents, cancers etc.) give me the equipment to fight and survive as God’s child in the real world.
- Good preachers obliterate the divide between lofty grandeur of God and the messiness of real life, so that I see and do something about the constant rub of idolatry against the call to discipleship in my own life.
- I love it when preachers tell me what arrests, intrigues, amazes and captivates them from God’s word. A preacher’s delighted, wide-eyed insight is a massive aid to engagement.
- Preachers with a humble conviction about the authority of preaching pack more punch.
- “Unpacking a passage” is much less exciting than releasing a wild lion into our midst.
- I sense when a preacher’s preparation…
View original post 547 more words