Traits of a godly servant 1st and 2nd Timothy
A Servant of the Lord must be : (1 Timothy 3, 2 Timothy 2)
- Blameless – above reproach, unblammable
- sober minded – temperate , self controlled
- self controlled – of a sound mind, sane, discreet
- of good behavior
- hospitable – kind to strangers
- able to teach – 2 Timothy 2;24 a servant of the Lord must not quarrel, but be gentle to all, able to teach , patient, in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth and that y they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will
- not given to wine – you can’t be a drunk and a servant of God. You need to pick one or the other. Do you serve God or your desires?
- Not violent – not someone who is always quarrelsome or ready to smack someone. Calm down.
- Not greedy for money –. Do your dreams of being a godly servant have you daydreaming of mansions , yachts, fame and all of the world’s luxuries?
- Gentle and not quarrelsome – Stop calling people stupid and getting angry because they don’t see things your way. Be gentle and patient, walk in humility correcting those who are in opposition. It’s not easy, I know…….
- Not Covetous- go to #9 for a recap on that. Set your sights on the Lord and His Kingdom, that’s all you need.
- One who rules his own house well – his children in submission with all reverence, for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God? Disqualified! I notice that I’m battling against outside influences that effect our children. Television, Music, School, Friends, Movies – why is my child singing “I’m suicidal?” why is my youngest singing “talk dirty to me?” or the latest song “When you feel my heat Look into my eyes It’s where my demons hide It’s where my demons hide”. Where did this new disrespect of elders come from? Not to mention social media and other things the kids can so easily hid. I think it may be more difficult to parent a child today with so many outside influences and as we ship them off to government run schools for 6-7hours a day. They bury themselves in books and social media in their room until nightfall. We’re losing our kids, that’s my humble opinion. Homeschooling makes this easier, but with the load of busy work from school , there is never a second left for youth group or bible study. Pray about how you can change that. They are only with us a few years and then they are gone.
- Not a novice – not a newbie, no offense but the bible says you need more time if you’re brand new to Christianity. Grow in Christ and be an example of a new Creation and in time, the Lord will lift you up. There’s good reason for this so pay attention to God’s instructions. If a newbie is given high standing in the church he may puff up with pride and fall back into the same condemnation as the devil. Consider the greatness of Moses and the testing of his life. He didn’t lead the people until he was 80 years old. He was the most humble man on all the earth. Consider also the status the Lord raised Joseph up to. He endured years of tribulation and testing to get to position that the Lord had planned out for him. Wait on the Lord.
- Have a good testimony and well thought of by outsiders so he does not fall into disgrace into the snare of the devil
- Reverent – honorable and reputable
- Not double tongued- not deceitful, revengeful, saying one thing and meaning another – a fibber
- have a clear conscience – inward moral impression of one’s actions and principles, moral judgment
- Being of one wife, ruling their own children and houses well
- Endure Hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. If you endure, you will reign with Him
- not entangle himself with affairs of this life, this way you may please Him who enlisted you as a soldier
- Work hard to present yourselves approved to God, rightly diviffing the word of truth.
- Shun profane and idle babbling , for they increase more ungodliness and their messages spreads like cancer.
- Depart from all iniquity!
- Be prepared to do the Lord’s work
- Flee youthful lusts.- Seriously, stop making excuses. God created you to be holy and you can be holy. Stop listing to teachers that okay this behavior; it’s a doctrine straight from hell. In Numbers 15, the people were to wear tassels to remind them of God’s commands and “that you may not follow the harlotry to which your own heart and your own eyes are inclined and that you may remember and do all My commands and be holy for your God.”
Vs 10” And let them be tested first, and then let them serve as deacons, being found blameless”
This list can go on and on, but it’s a good start. In all things remember that our ultimate goal is Loving God and Loving others. 1 Corinthians lists the definition of God’s love as evident in our lives. I like to look over the list and consider what I need to work on:
- Longsuffering – enduring in times of trouble (Rejoice Romans 5:3-4 and James 1)
- Kind to others, never quick to be angry. Always considering others first
- Love does not envy
- Does not behave rudely. (There goes south Florida, Aventura and Boca specifically, no offense though. If it makes you feel better, you have great malls)
- Does not seek its own, does not demand it’s own way : Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves. Philippians 2:3
- It is not provoked (He will not shout or cry out, or raise his voice in the streets.3 A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out. In faithfulness he will bring forth justice; Isaiah 42:2-3 and Matthew 12:20 )
- Thinks no evil – “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Phil 4:8
- Does not rejoice in iniquity. Hmmm need to think about that, I found myself laughing at something really stupid and ungodly in a movie bc I don’t know why – maybe bc I was expected to laugh. I had to stop myself. How about laughing at ungodly jokes or some radio morning shows. Turn it off. Rejoice only in the truth, not in iniquity – even if you’re the last one standing.
- Rejoices always in the truth. What is truth? Jesus is truth. Jesus is the only way to God the Father.
- Bears all things. Love bears ALL things, even sandpaper people. That’s not always fun. Love bears all circumstances – think about that. What circumstances are you going through? Endure through all times in love as you cling to the Lord. Love bears all things.
- Hopes all things. I love hope.
- Endures all things. Amen!
- Love never fails.
- Do not seek praise from people. Set your mind to live a life that pleases the Lord. “We were not looking for praise from people, not from you or anyone else, even though as apostles of Christ we could have asserted our authority.7 Instead, we were like young children among you. 1 Thes 2:6
The Lord’s eyes are on all our ways, we are not hidden from his face.
The Lord says, “My eyes are on all their ways; they are not hidden from me, nor is their sin concealed from my eyes. I will repay them double for their wickedness and their sin, because they have defiled my land with the lifeless forms of their vile images and have filled my inheritance with their detestable idols.” Jeremiah 16:17
He searches and tests our heart, even our innermost motives are not hidden from him.
I the Lord search the heart and examine the mind, to reward each person according to their conduct, according to what their deeds deserve.” Jeremiah 17:10 and 1 Thes 2:4
Call on Him, He will tell you great things!
Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know Jeremiah 33:3 See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland Isaiah 49
Expect persecution and trials, but no worries! The Lord God goes before you. Be Strong.
Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution 1 Timothy 3:12
Peace and Shalom, make sure you are ready for the Lord’s return. The time now is sooner that it ever was. Be ready, get your heart right with the Lord. The Lord’s love never fails, it never gives up, it never gives up on you. Live a life with that same unconditional love towards others. Live a life that pleases the Lord God.